The LPII is a three step process:
- Language Assessment Workshops
- Test Design and Development
- Course Development
Each of these steps are opt-in, but they must be completed in sequence: you must attend a Language Assessment Workshop before (re)designing assessments; a redesigned assessment must be completed before applying for a course development summer grant. For more information, please visit our LPII page.
For Language Assessment Workshops
* Required for all new LPII test developers
Applicants submit an application form and statement of purpose, describing why they wish to attend the workshop. They need not be planning to design or redesign an exam in order to attend.
For Test Design and Development Grants
* Pre-requisite: Completion of a Language Assessment Workshop
Applicants submit an application form and statement of purpose, along with a proposal for the test they plan to design and develop. They must attend an assessment workshop and have identified outcomes across the four skills when they apply. The application form must be signed by the language coordinator (where applicable) and department chair.
* If you attended a Language Assessment Workshop, you should have received more detailed information. If you did not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Course Development Grants
* Pre-requisite: Completion of a proficiency test
Applicants submit an application form and statement of purpose. They must describe in detail how the course and course materials they plan to design and develop fit into the overall curriculum. All curricular revisions must adhere to reverse design models: outcomes must be identified and defined, both formative and summative assessments must be in place. They may also wish to design new formative assessments as part of their grant. The application form must be signed by the language coordinator (where applicable) and department chair.
Timeline – 2022/2023
- October9 19, 2022 (4:30 PM – 5:30 PM): LPII Information Session, on Zoom
- November 4, 2022 (4:00 PM – 8:00 PM): Language Assessment Workshop, in person
- November 11, 2022: Proposals due for Test Design & Development, Domain Analysis, and Online Language Course Development on Canvas
- November 17, 2022 (4:30 PM – 7:30 PM): Test Design and Development Refresher Workshop (for returning test developers), in person
- November 18-21, 2022: Test Design and Development Workshop, in person
- December 9, 2022: Test Design due
- March 10, 2023: Test Development due
- April 21, 2023: Rubric due
- May 15, 2023: Curriculum Design Workshop Application & Proposal due on Canvas
- May 26, 2023: Curriculum Design proposal feedback
- May 31-June 2, 2023: Curriculum Design Workshop
- June 16, 2023: Curriculum Design Matrix due
- July 14, 2023: Curriculum Design Cycle due (one unit) on Canvas
- September 1, 2023: All Curriculum Design Cycles due on Canvas
- Early September, 2023: Curriculum Design presentations/forum
*Participants can expect 3-4 additional workshops of approximately 90 minutes to address specific aspects of Test Development and Course Development, along with individual feedback and revision meetings.
NOTE: All materials produced under the Language Pedagogy Innovation Initiative will become the exclusive property of the University of Chicago, and the University has sole discretion in approving and implementing the materials and curricula developed under the Initiative.